Love Makes Families

Love Makes Families
A family of 7 due to the blessing of adoption!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The baby of our family....Alyssa

After the loss of our baby, we were told that we had to wait a few months before we could try again. So we began trying again in July. My sister Peggy came to visit for Labor day weekend and we were both due to "start" within 1 day of each other. We had both been sick, and since Kevin and I were trying to have another baby I decided to take a pregnancy test on Sept 6, 2008. It was still a few days before I was supposed to start, but I had a feeling. I went and got 3 pregnancy tests and took one. It said I was pregnant. I was so happy, but also a little nervous because I did not want to lose this baby too! My sister had been on birth control, but I jokingly said to her.... hey, you have been sick too, Maybe you are pregnant. Just to satisfy my curiosity, she took the test. Since she was supposed to be done having children, she was very shocked when it said "pregnant". I was excited!! I have always been pregnant at the same time as one of my sisters, and it was great to be able to share this experience with my sister. We were due only 1 day apart. I was due May 16, 2009, and she was due on the 17th. We literally had our doctors appointment on the same days, and hit every milestone together. You can't get any closer than 1 day apart. We all assumed that I would have my baby first due to my history of 2 pre term babies, and when I went into labor at work (I was a waitress at Golden Corral, a buffet) we thought I was right. The main problem is.... I was only 24 weeks along the first time I went into labor. I was having regular consistent contractions by the time I got to the hospital. I was so scared..... would this baby even have a chance at this point??!!?? I prayed harder than I have ever prayed in my life. Lord, please let me hold this baby and raise this baby. My prayers were answered. The labor stopped, and the baby looked great. After a few hours, they let me go home. I had to follow up with my doctor the next day, and he said everything looked great. I was able to continue working which was nice since my husband was out of work at the time, and I was the only income in our home. I went to work, and everyone there were so amazing. They did all my heavy lifting, and helped me to take it as easy as possible. There was not a single person there that made me feel guilty, or that didn't take care of me like I was their child. It was such a different experience from the place I worked prior to this. Everything seemed to be going well until 2 short weeks later.... I started having contractions again, and this time I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid. So, back to the hospital I go.... they stop labor again, and this time they decide to give me the steroid shots. I had to return to the hospital 24 hours later to receive the 2nd dose. I went back and saw my doctor, and he said he didn't see any point in putting me on bed rest because it doesn't usually make a difference in someone with my history. So, I continued working until I went into labor again in March (about 32 weeks pregnant). This time the doctor said..... bed rest!! Well it worked... I never had another single contraction.... not ever!!! I had my first 2 babies via c- section, so they scheduled my c-section for May 8, 2009. I thought to myself I will never make it that far, but this breech drama queen wanted to due things on her terms. She wanted to come when it wasn't safe, but as soon as it was ok for her to come out.... not a chance!! She was already more drama than my other 2 and she wasn't even born yet. If I would put my hand on MY stomach she would kick and kick until I would move them. It was as if she was saying.. this is my space back off!! She is the only child that I didn't go into labor on my own with and that my water didn't break with. I had high fluids (about 24-26 cm of water..... normal is between 10-19 cm). This was a change from Kaitlyn where I had low fluids (5-8 cm). So on May 8, 2009 we went to the hospital at 8 am to have our baby. The c-section was scheduled for 10 a.m., but 10 came and went with nobody coming to take me back. Finally, they came in and told us that a lady was having twins, and there were some complications, so I would have to wait. I was so hungry, but all I could think to do at this point.... pray for the mom and her twins. Around 1 p.m. they came in and told me it won't be much longer, and they were right. Alyssa made her entrance into this world at 1:34 p.m. She was a whopping 9lbs 3oz. She was so chunky. Right after she was born, the doctor peeked over the sheet and asked if he could tie my tubes.... I wanted more kids, so I said no. Apparently he didn't have time to explain the reason he asked because immediately he and another doctor went to work talking in hushed tones. I heard things like.... It keeps tearing, I'm not sure we can save it, maybe a hysterectomy would be best. After about 30 minutes of sewing my uterus back together the doctor informed me that my uterus was torn to shreds (most likely the result of a bad D&C) He told me I was lucky that Alyssa and I had survived the pregnancy and told me that I couldn't have any more children..... NOOOO I want more kids. For now, I will enjoy the 3 angels I can hold. They wheel me out of the OR and down the hall to recovery. I look up and see them wheeling my baby toward me. Amazing.... I had to wait at least 6 hours for my other 2, and in Utah where Alyssa was born, they bring her to me in the recovery room. Well she had low blood sugar and needed to eat. She latched right on and ate for a solid 30 min on the 1st feeding. Her blood sugar went up and she was a pro at eating!.... to be cont...

No comments:

Post a Comment